You can reduce cancer risk–including colorectal cancer, breast cancer and others–with a diet that is high in vegetables, fruit and whole grains and low in red and processed meats. Regularly eating food with good-for-you nutrients also reduces other health threats, like cardiovascular disease.
Obesity is also a risk factor for many forms of cancer (breast; colorectal; endometrial; kidney; lung; mouth, throat and esophageal) and a host of other health problems. Including fruit and vegetables in every meal can also reduce cancer risk because they help to control weight.
For an update on a dessert classic that takes advantage of high-fiber, low-glycemic berries, try the Raspberry Tofu Blintzes and Fruit Salad recipe from Huntington Hospital chefs Sean Broderick and Jeffrey Grunski with Melanie Leitner, RD, and Meghan Reed, dietetic intern. It’s a refreshing way to end a special meal.
Preparation time: 45 minutes. Cooking time: 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 386 Calories, 11 grams of fat, and 110.5 mg of sodium
Serves four. Serving size: 4 ounces (two crepes each).
Ingredients: Raspberry Tofu Blintzes (Filling)
- 16 ounces Tofu
- 12 ounces Raspberries
- ½ cup Apple cider vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Light sour cream
- 2 Tbsp Granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp Water
- 1 cup Flour
- 2 Whole egg
- 1 cup Skim milk
- 2 Tbsp Water
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 spray Oil Spray
- ½ cup Balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp Sugar
Ingredients: Fruit Salad
- ¼ cup Blackberries
- ½ each Orange, juiced
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¾ tsp Orange zest
- ¾ tsp Lemon zest
- ¾ tsp Lime zest
- ¾ tsp Mint
Directions: Raspberry Filling
- Chop 16 ounces tofu and place in bowl.
- Mash tofu in bowl with 4 Tbsp light sour cream.
- Add a half-cup apple cider vinegar to pan on high heat.
- Add 2 Tbsp granulated sugar to warm vinegar.
- Add 12 ounces of raspberries to sugar and vinegar and heat for five minutes.
- In separate bowl mix together 1 Tbsp water with 1 Tbsp cornstarch and add to raspberry mixture (still heating).
- Turn heat off raspberries and put mixture in blender for two minutes.
- Strain raspberry mixture to remove seeds.
- Put ½ raspberry mixture into tofu and sour cream.
- Combine flour, eggs, milk, water and cinnamon.
- Heat sauté pan over low heat.
- Spray pan with one spray oil.
- Pour 1.5 ounces of batter in pan, twist pan to evenly spread.
- Cook for about one minute until cooked through.
- Continue with the remaining batter. You should not need additional spray. Should make eight crepes. Set aside.
To fill the crepes:
- Put 2 ounces tofu, raspberry filling into each crepe and fold.
- Spray pan one time.
- Put filled crepes onto sprayed pan and toast for 2 minutes.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and sugar in sauté pan over high heat.
- Reduce by half.
- Combine blackberries, zest, mint, and freshly squeezed orange juice.